Friday, October 15, 2004

A View of the Woods

Flannery O'Connor's "A View of the Woods" is not a good story to read if you're having a bad day. But since I had a pretty good day today (I have a job interview on Monday), it all evens out.

I am in awe of O'Connor in general and this story in particular. The first time I read it, I thought the ending was cruel and pointless, but thinking back through it, I wonder if O'Connor is saying that ol' man Fortune has abandoned any kind of redeeming qualities whatsoever and gets what he deserves? He seems intent on heaping any and all types of (unjustified) punishment on his son-in-law Pitts. Fortune's slow progression from a cynical, hateful old man to the deplorable creature at the story's end is amazingly handled by O'Connor. I want to read the story again just to watch this progression of character emerge. Amazing stuff.

Started a new story - more horror than sf or f. As Jeff Ford suggested at Clarion, I'm just trying to let the story tell itself and figure out what it all means later. Jeff is right; the more you do that, the more it frees you up to write the story and not try to press a theme.

The weather's still good, so I think we'll grill some salmon tonight. Mmmmm...

Today's weight: 178
Today's word count: 800

No comments: