Saturday, February 05, 2005

Out of the Sick Boat

Man, I'm glad that's over. Most of it is, anyway. Cindy got sick first, then I got it. I mean I couldn't do anything. Surprisingly it didn’t hurt too badly to read, so I got some books read and watched a few movies, two of which were outstanding.

2003's House of Sand and Fog (based on the novel of the same name, which I have not read) is a modern-day tragedy with excellent performances, especially from Ben Kingsley. (Although it still chaps me that he won the Oscar for Ghandi – a part he was literally born to play - over Paul Newman in The Verdict in 1983.) I'd give the film 4.5 stars out of 5. In the last third of the film, one of the characters does something major that the viewer was not prepared for. The character wasn't prepared for it either; there was no indication that this character had any inclination to do this thing. It just didn't ring true for me, but I suppose the film couldn't have continued (or ended) without it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't want to spoil the film for you. (And you should see it.)

I also saw 2004's outstanding Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's a crime that this film is not nominated for Best Picture. I had absolutely no idea what the film was about when I rented it, so I'll leave you in the same situation by not describing the plot. But this is an exceptional film, beautifully photographed, brilliantly constructed, well acted. Don't be surprised if you see yourself in it.

Now Playing = Medulla - Bjork

No comments: