Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Speed of Stories/Movies for Halloween

It's a nice feeling having a story that just seems to flow out of you. The story I'm working on now is doing just that. It's been so long since that's happened (pre-Clarion) that I'm almost scared of the way it feels. I'm about 2,000 words into "Fingerpaint," a story that probably will end up being a little less than 3,000. I don't know if I should second-guess myself and the way the story's progressing, or just let it continue. I can always second-guess during revision.

Thanks to my friend Kelly for recommending some good movies to rent for Halloween. I'm particularly looking forward to Dead Birds. Some movies that I've enjoyed gearing up for Halloween:

The Old Dark House
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Evil Dead 2
The Haunting (original)

What's everyone's favorite movie to watch during Halloween?

Nine days until World Fantasy!

Now Playing = The Best of Louis Armstrong: The Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings
Now Reading = Anansi Boys – Neil Gaiman
From Ghetto to Glory: The Story of Bob Gibson

3 comments:

Andy Wolverton said...

I went to WFC last year for the first time and had a blast. I'll certainly say hi to Finlay - he dropped by at Clarion 2004. Maybe I'll get to meet Buckell and Voss. Are you planning to attend next year? Austin's a great place for a WFC. (Heck, Austin's a great place for just about anything!)

"Them" is a good one; haven't seen it in years...I'll have to search around for it.

John said...

I'm generally not a fan of "scary" movies (by which I mean the overtly creepy or macabre), though I am all for suspenseful movies. Of these my favorite is probably "Dead Again," with Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson (back when they were still married) and the ever-brilliant Derek Jacobi.

tcastleb said...

I'm working on Halloween, so I've basically been ignoring it. . .never really had a Halloween movie, unless you count the Disney Halloween cartoon specials (back when the Disney Channel had more classic Disney programming.)

Man. . .have fun at WFC. I still wish I could go. Next year. Austin's closer. And warmer. And maybe I'll actually have some money by then. And when you find Charlie, you'll likely find Toby, because they're good friends and tend to hang out together.

Good luck with your story; it's always nice to have something that comes out that easy.