Monday, August 28, 2006

Random Recommendations

Right now I'm giving a cursory listen to Bob Dylan's new album Modern Times, which officially releases tomorrow. (XM Radio is playing a sneak preview of the album in its entirety.) Although I haven't been able to give it my full, undivided attention (breakfast, taking care of Bullet, etc.), I've heard most of every song. Without getting into specifics, I can pretty safely say that it doesn't vary much musically from 2001's Love and Theft. In fact, the styles may be even more nostalgic than that release: some blues, rock-a-billy, soft-shoe, a waltz, but very little out-and-out rock n roll. The first time I listen to anything, the music tends to come first, then the lyrics. I just have to look at the big picture for now. But this is Dylan we're talking about, so the lyrics will take time to sort through, demanding repeated listenings. More later.

It is interesting to note, however, that the limited edition featuring four extra tracks (none of them new material) and a DVD of Dylan performing the aforementioned four songs is currently No. 2 on Amazon's music sales. (The regular CD-only version is at No. 3.)

********************************

I bought James Van Pelt's collection The Last of the O-Forms at World Fantasy last year and just started it last night (a mere nine months later). I read the title story and was blown away. If all the stories are as good as that one, look out.

*********************************

I just finished Shadows and Silence, a collection of (mostly) ghost stories from Ash-Tree Press. Awhile back Ash-Tree ran a special including this volume and the World Fantasy Award-winning (actually it tied with Dark Matter) Acquainted with the Night. Ash-Tree books aren't cheap, but they're impeccably produced and the stories well-chosen. I was only disappointed with one story in Shadows and Silence, thought most of them were very good and several outstanding.

*********************************

I started watching Veronica Mars Season Two (from NetFlix) this weekend. While it's still early (four episodes), the writing doesn't seem as strong as in Season One. But I'll keep watching. (No spoilers, please.)

Now Playing = "Ain't Talkin'" – Bob Dylan

4 comments:

John said...

Good John: Thanks for the recs, Andy.
Evil John: Damn it, Andy, I've got too much to read already! I've had to swear off the Post Book Review because I have to add stuff every week! AAAGGHHH!

A warning about second-season slippage: I've not seen any of VM, but don't forget that this is the same thing that happened with Alias, too: good, taut first season followed by underwritten second season. And we all know how THAT turned out.

On the other hand, I'm trying to think of a show whose second season was better than its first. The only one I can think of is MASH. Oh, and The Muppet Show.

Kelly Shaw's Book & Movie Forum said...

Hi Andy,

I finally broke down and became a registered "blogger."

As for second seasons greater than firsts, I'd place Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Carnivale to the top of that list. Both of those shows' first seasons only hinted at the greatness that their second seasons brought. There must be some others, too.

Anonymous said...

Justice League season 2.

Anonymous said...

South Park Season 2 is better than Season 1.

Except I swear that South Park gets better with each season in general. The show really hits its stride between Season 4 - Season 8.