Friday, March 30, 2007

Another One Out the Door

Put the finishing touches this morning on a new 3500-word horror story called "The Probationary Period." This is my third story to go out in as many weeks, so I feel like things are headed in the right direction.

I'm in somewhat of a dilemma about an older story, though. It's one I've had rejected nine times, but most of the rejections have included several positive comments, so I'm a little hesitant to just kill it. (Besides, ten is such a nice, round number, don't you think?) One of my stories got published after nine rejections, another after twelve.

What made me keep sending them out after all those rejections? I just felt there was something there. Some stories I've sent out just a few times, some just once before I realized that they just weren't working and I didn't know how to fix them. If you feel the story's got something, I think you either stay persistent or figure out what's wrong with it. But eventually you have to make a decision.

I will. After this next time. I promise...

No comments: