Monday, January 28, 2008

This Could Be It...



Stephen King's new novel Duma Key very possibly could be his best ever. It's too early to tell and I probably won't be able to tell for awhile, depending on forces beyond my control. (More on that in a minute.)

Duma Key is the story of Edgar Freemantle, a Minnesota man who loses his right arm in a horrible construction accident. Not only that, Edgar loses his wife and possibly his sanity. He moves to Duma Key, Florida, where he rents a beach house and learns to sketch and paint with the use of his one remaining arm. But of course this is Stephen King, so these are, of course, not ordinary sketches and paintings.

Others may disagree, but I think King is producing some of his best writing these days. With the exception of the disappointing (yet still entertaining) Cell, King (under his own name, not Richard Bachman's) has lately given readers The Colorado Kid - a wildly misunderstood tale, Lisey's Story - a touching, yet unnerving horror story, and now Duma Key - both a great horror tale and an examination of the dark side of creativity.

My problem is I checked the book out from the library as a 7-Day Express book, which means I can't renew it. Normally I could read the 600 pages in seven days, but not these last seven days, which have been filled with work at the library, All-Night Bowling with the youth Friday night/Saturday morning and deacon duty yesterday. I've gotta turn it in tomorrow with only 175 pages read.

Of course I am going to Costco today, where I'm sure the book is on sale....

More on this story as it develops. Until then, find yourself a copy of Duma Key and lots of free time.

No comments: