Friday, October 17, 2008

The Perfect Halloween Read

Okay, maybe I'm not really looking for the perfect Halloween read, since such a thing probably doesn't exist, but a really good Halloween read. It doesn't even have to be about Halloween, but some element of horror should be present. It can be a novel, a collection, an anthology, or even a single short story, although I would prefer a novel. This morning I started Glen Hirshberg's The Snowman's Children, which early on looks excellent, but I suspect I may finish it well before Halloween.

So, whaddya got?

2 comments:

John said...

Three suggestions--though you've probably read them.

Obvious: Ghost Story. I can't think of anything to say about this other than I wish that I'd never read it and I wish that I could read more books like it. (And that I'm sorry that the movie wasted Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks AND John Houseman.)

Tangential: House of Leaves (Sorry, I'm not taking time to figure out the html to make the word house blue.) This book still creeps me out in a way that I really can't put my finger on, which is really just that much more creepy.

Unvetted: London Revenant, Conrad Williams. I started this last year and could not get through it, but I don't think that's so much Williams' fault as it was mine. You have to keep up the pace when you read these to sustain the rising horror element, and I just didn't get that done. But this is weird and scary in a way that I'd not seen before.

Andy Wolverton said...

I have a copy of Ghost Story and will strongly consider it. (Although I saw the movie years ago, I've forgotten most of it.)

House of Leaves is stunning, but I've already read it.

London Revenant is also a possibility, though right now the Straub probably gets the upper hand.

Thanks for the suggestions!