Saturday, November 01, 2008

October Books Bought

October's theme is "Few in Number, Large in Price." Most of these books were purchased at Daedalus Books, bane of my bank account. Ah, well...such is life.




We start this month's episode with The Collected Stories of Caroline Gordon, a Southern writer I was not previously familiar with until I ran across her name while reading an article about Flannery O'Connor, and you know I must investigate anything even remotely related to Flannery O'Connor.
Trade Paperback - Price = $5.95








Christ and Culture Revisited (NF 2008) - D.A. Carson

Not sure where I first heard of this one, but it's been recommended to me by several people whose opinions I respect.
Hardcover - Price = $16.32






Short Stories Writers and Short Stories (NF 2005) - Harold Bloom

Good gracious, what a hideous cover! Sometimes I can't stand to read Bloom, other times I think he's great. But this slim volume focuses on several great short story writers and their work, including Hawthorne, Kafka, Faulkner, Hemingway, Welty, Shirley Jackson and of course, Flannery O'Connor. Fine folks, all of them.
Hardcover - Price = $5.95





Apple Training Series: iWork 08 and iLife 08 Value Pack (NF 2008)

Since we bought our iMac, I've been looking for a comprehensive book (or two) that covers all the applications in iLife '08 and iWork '08. A little on the expensive side, but the price on Amazon for both books together is what one book would cost separately. Plus each book includes a DVD with lessons for practice. So far I'm very satisfied.
Trade Paperbacks with DVDs - Price as a set = $44.10




The Collected Tales - Nikolai Gogol, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky

One thing leads to another at Daedalus. They plan it that way. I had already picked up the previously mentioned Harold Bloom book and read a bit of the section on Gogol, only to look up and, lo and behold, The Collected Tales by Gogol, not only in hardcover, not only in a handsome Everyman's Library edition, but also signed by translators Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. You can't say no to something like that, you just can't. So I didn't.

Hardcover, signed (not by Gogol; that would be impressive) - Price = $15.95

Total Book Expenditures for October = $88.27

No comments: