Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Books Bought November

Things were fairly sedate until Cindy and I went to the Green Valley Book Fair last weekend. Even then, I believe I practiced remarkable restraint. You be the judge. Here are the books I bought in November with the reasons why.

NOVEMBER BOOKS BOUGHT


Encyclopedia of Fantasy And Horror Fiction (NF 2006) - Don D'Ammassa

Normally $22, this one was on sale at Amazon a few weeks ago. Since it's fairly current (2006), I thought this would be a good reference book for my desk at work.

Trade Paperback; Price = $9.68


The Fine Line: Re-envisioning the Gap between Christ and Culture (NF 2008) - Kary Oberbrunner

This book examines two types of Christians: those who isolate themselves from culture and those who embrace all aspects of culture with little or no discernment whatsoever. A fascinating concept; I couldn't say no, especially not at this price.

Trade Paperback; Price = $3.99



Reel Spirituality: Theology and Film in Dialogue (NF 2006, 2nd edition) - Robert Johnston

Awhile back I read a book called Eyes Wide Open about Christianity and the arts. I've been looking for books specifically on Christianity and film and this one seemed to be on everyone's must-read list. And the price was right.

Trade Paperback; Price = $10.43


Holy Superheroes! Revised and Expanded Edition: Exploring the Sacred in Comics, Graphic Novels, and Film (NF 2008) - Greg Garrett

I'm doing some preliminary research on an upcoming project and hope this book will be helpful.

Trade Paperback; Price = $8.86


The Engine's Child (2008) - Holly Phillips

I absolutely love Holly Phillips's beautifully stylized short fiction and although this novel has gotten generally poor reviews, I'm a big enough fan to give it a try, especially at this price.

Trade Paperback; Price = $4.00


Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity (NF 2006) - David Lynch

I remember this book coming out about the same time that Lynch's most recent film INLAND EMPIRE was released. I wanted to buy the book then, but didn't want to spend $20 on it. Plus it's pretty slim; I read nearly the whole thing in Borders one day. I figured it wouldn't give a whole lot of insight into Lynch's films, but thought it might reveal a little about what makes this weird dude tick.

Hardcover; Price = $5.00


Writing and Selling the YA Novel (NF 2008) - K. L. Going

There are some good Writers Digest books out there, especially Nancy Kress's Beginnings, Middles & Ends. I don't know if this is necessarily one of them, but since it does deal with YA novels and I have written (but not yet published) one, I thought, what the heck?

Trade Paperback; Price = $4.00


The 3 A.M. Epiphany (NF 2005) - Brian Kiteley

Another Writers Digest book that I'd heard about a few years ago. And here it is, falling right into my lap. How opportunistic!

Trade Paperback; Price = $4.50


Things That Fall from the Sky: Stories (2002) - Kevin Brockmeier

Brockmeier has successfully combined weird and literary over the course of his career. I've loved several of his stories and loved his novel The Truth about Celia even more, so I'm really looking forward to this collection.

Trade Paperback; Price = $3.50


The Real Festivus (NF 2005) - Daniel O'Keefe

Our staff this year is having something of a Festivus-themed celebration, so I thought this book might give me a few ideas on some hijinks to conjure up in the coming weeks. Gather 'round for the Feats of Strength!

Trade Paperback; Price = $3.00


Zahrah the Windseeker (YA 2005) - Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu

Okorafor's The Shadow Speaker was one of the most delightful YA books I've read over the past few years. I've been looking for Zahrah for awhile and was delighted to find it just as I was making one last sweep of the YA novels at the Green Valley Book Fair.

Trade Paperback; Price = $2.75

Total Expenditures for November = $59.71

That's it for November. Now get out there and read something.

No comments: