Monday, July 08, 2013

The Barnes & Noble Criterion Collection 50% Off Sale

Tomorrow begins one of two huge Criterion Collection DVD and Blu-ray sales held each year at Barnes & Noble stores and online. The sale starts tomorrow, July 9, but I'm not sure when it ends (probably July 30 or 31).

A few of the films I'm most eager to purchase won't be released until after the sale, but here are the main ones I'll consider for this sale:


When I saw Babette's Feast last month, I knew it was a must-buy. The film will be released on July 27, just barely in time to qualify for the sale.


I also loved A Man Escaped, which I have heard has a wealth of supplements, almost an entire "film school in a box" treatment of director Robert Bresson.


I also found myself captivated by Jim Jarmusch's odd, quirky Down By Law. I rented this from Netflix and had time to watch only a few of the supplements, which were outstanding.


Purple Noon is a wonderful film, one I can't wait to see on Blu-ray.


Although the supplements on Yojimbo and Sanjuro aren't exactly packed, these classic Kurosawa films come out to about $17.50 each, which is a bit better than buying them individually.

So.... What's on your list for this sale?

No comments: