Friday, November 12, 2004

Getting Unblocked

I've turned into a real fan of Julia Cameron's 'The Artist's Way.' The book's Morning Pages are really helping me to break through negative mental blocks that seem to love hanging out inside my head. Those negative thoughts can really do your writing harm and I'm on a crusade to rid my work of them. At tomorrow's writers' group meeting, I'm going to introduce the exercise.

Got an email about a new novel critique group near where I live. I emailed the guy and asked him how the group feels about speculative fiction. (Many times, as Andy Duncan says, when an alien walks in, you walk out.) We'll see how it goes. I'd really like to find a spec. fic. group in the Balto/DC area. I know of none so far.

Octavia Butler and Samuel Delany will be speaking in town next Friday. I'm thinking about going. I also emailed Tenea and she's thinking about going as well.

Started a new story this morning, really just a free-write, but it feels better than what I've been working on. We'll see where it goes. Time to get ready for work.

Now Playing = Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

No comments: