Saturday, November 20, 2004

Just One Word

“If I can give you just one piece of advice, here it is. Take a sheet of paper and hang it up in your office where you’ll see it everyday. On that page, write just one word: Patience.”

I can remember my junior high band director telling me that like it was this morning. I’d just told him I wanted to be a band director and that was his one piece of advice.

I’m working on revising “You Can Say Anything You Want,” a story from Clarion. Yesterday I took everyone’s Clarion comments and studied them. Then today, I did a couple of free-writes, trying to answer some questions about plot and character motivation. Now I’m taking a break after an hour of revising the story. How far did I get? Two paragraphs.

Patience.

I truly believe I’m not spending enough time on my stories. A part of me was disappointed that I didn’t get more than two paragraphs revised. But they’re two greatly improved paragraphs.

Patience.

I’m beginning to understand how my main character thinks, what drives him, and what’s at stake. I’m also beginning to understand what’s at stake for the Grays (the aliens in my story) and the consequences of their actions. Just beginning to understand these things, mind you.

Patience.

Now Playing = When I Look in Your Eyes – Diana Krall

No comments: