Tuesday, March 07, 2006

10 in 10 and Other Fun Stuff

After a three-week absence, I walked into Gold's Gym yesterday and discovered they're having a 10 in 10 contest. Here's how it works: You weigh in on March 15, they record your weight. (I'm currently at 186.) They record it, file it and you pay $25. Then you have to lose ten pounds in ten weeks. At the end of the ten week period, they weigh you again. If you've lost at least 10 pounds, you and everyone else in the contest who's shed the weight splits the contest money. So if everyone sticks with it, you get your money back plus you're ten pounds lighter.

The biggest factor against my achieving the goal? Cindy leaves for Navy Band tour tomorrow and will be gone for a month. That means I'm left with the following options on a daily basis:

(1) My own cooking (not even an option)

(2) Places that are literally right across the street – The Italian Market, Chik-Fil-A, Popeyes (Love That Chicken), Fuji Steak House, Chipotle, and the dreaded Cold Stone Creamery

(3) Not across the street, but just as deadly – Pizza Boli's

(4) Broccoli sandwiches

At least there's no brewery across the street. And if I can get the employees at Caribou Coffee to put their chocolate chip cookies in a safe while I'm there, I'll be okay.

*******************************

My books are getting out of control. Finding and selling used books can be a blessing and a curse. Finding time to read the ones I don't sell is becoming increasingly difficult. Plus there's at least 25 "must read" titles (translates "must buy") coming out in the next several months.

I've never done an accurate count, but I'd estimate that I own at least 2,500 books (not including my inventory to sell). If I've read even half of those books (It's probably closer to a fourth), that still leaves 1250 books unread. If I read 100 a year, it'll take me 12.5 years to read them. And again, new stuff keeps coming out and you keep discovering older books you weren't aware of.

And I'd like to write a few of my own.

Looks like it's time to purge once again. Ah, the suffering, the pain. And I'm expected to do this without Popeye's therapy?

Now Playing = Station to Station – David Bowie
Now Reading = Air – Geoff Ryman

1 comment:

John said...

Keys to Eating at Popeye's And Not Looking Like Marlon Brando:
1. No sides. Which is okay, because you just wanted chicken and biscuits, right?
2. Diet Coke. No calories and helps wash away the grease with which you just coated your digestive tract.
3. Get it to go. Just think of all the calories you save by letting the paper in the box soak up the extra grease. Plus, you're walking. This might even be healthy!
4. No wings or thighs. Too low a meat-to-skin ratio. Save your calories for higher-protein laden pieces like breasts and legs.

And yes, I have given this WAY TOO MUCH thought. But I'm okay with that.