Friday, March 10, 2006

The Home Front, Thomas Ligotti and Other Stuff

Well, Cindy's been on tour for almost 48 hours and I haven't managed to make the house look like a garage sale just yet. I'm very proud of the fact that I have NOT visited any of my usual haunts (Popeye's, Pizza Boli's, etc.). I even cooked last night...if you can call grilling salmon cooking. The weather was just too good not to grill something.

I used the last of my Christmas/birthday gift certificates yesterday at Borders and picked up Jeff VanderMeer's new trade paperback edition of City of Saints and Madmen and Thomas Ligotti's "sampler" collection The Shadow at the Bottom of the World. Not yet ready to tackle City, I jumped into Ligotti's first story "The Last Feast of Harlequin." Man, this guy is incredible! Now I know why his earlier collection The Nightmare Factory is selling used on Amazon for nearly $40 (for a trade paperback). Looks like I'll be contributing to the Ligotti Retirement Fund on a regular basis. (As long as he doesn't retire from writing.)

The YA novel is coming along, but it's a race against the clock. I feel confident that I'll have a finished product for the contest, but I feel a little nervous about some parts of it. I know that with another month it could be much better. Since I don't have that month, I'll just have to push on.

It's the weekend! Yea!

Now Playing = Return of the Manticore – Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Now Reading = Air – Geoff Ryman
The Shadow at the Bottom of the World – Thomas Ligotti

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you've been writing a young adult novel.

But what contest do you speak of?

Andy Wolverton said...

It's held by Avari Press. I got it from one of Marjorie's links, I believe.