Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Few Thoughts on Holiday Music

You'd think after fifteen years of teaching band, fifteen (or more) holiday concerts, I'd just about had it up to the gills with holiday music. But for some reason, I still enjoy listening to most of it. (Then again, I guess there's someone out there who enjoys root canals and reruns of Joanie Loves Chachi.)

And there's plenty to choose from. Just on XM Radio, there's six different holiday stations. After listening for a few days, I've made some interesting observations:

First, we need national (or maybe international) standards for who gets to sing "O Holy Night" and who doesn't. It's hands-down my favorite holiday song and I know many others who share that feeling. It's a song that requires a great voice and a tasteful rendering. Not everybody can or should try it. Yet it seems like everybody has recorded a version of the song. Oddly enough, most of the versions I've heard are from country singers. I began to wonder why and I think I've got it figured out:

I can picture all these country singers sitting around the bar after the Country Music Association Awards or some such event, mad as all get-out that Johnny Cash (who's been dead for three years) is still releasing better stuff than most everybody else. After a few rounds, somebody no doubt proclaimed, "Well, hell, he can't do 'O Holy Night'! I'm gonna do it!" Which led some other singer to say, "Well, if he can do it..." and on and on.

Now from what I've heard on the country stations, only Martina McBride gets to sing "O Holy Night." She can pull it off. As much as I like Willie....no, sorry. And Dolly, you know I love ya, but....nope. George Jones? Hey, buddy...there's lots of stuff you shouldn't try anymore.

Second, after listening to the traditional holiday station, I assumed that Johnny Mathis must've spent a good six or seven years of his life recording Christmas music. I mean the dude is all over the place. So I went to Amazon and typed in Johnny Mathis Christmas and got 62 matches. Of course you know, several of those are overlaps, similar editions, reissues, etc. He didn't really record 62 Christmas albums. (Just so you know, which you probably already do.)

But Mathis is a real lightweight. Perry Como and Christmas got 70 matches. Sinatra and Christmas, 115 matches. But they're all twerps compared to Bing Crosby. 296 matches! Again, he didn't record anything close to that many Christmas albums, but come on! Man. I'll bet David Bowie wishes they'd done more duets.

So whatever you're listening to this holiday season, have a great one.

Now Playing: "O Little Town of Bethlehem" – Emmylou Harris

2 comments:

John said...

Part of the requirement for singing "O Holy Night" has to be an ability to sing more than two syllables without taking a breath. I cringe at every "Fall...[enormous breath that changes the barometric readings in two counties]...on your knees...oh hear...the angel voi...ces..."

I complained mightily about the musicians who "faked' it on Studio 60 two weeks ago, but apparently they were actual musicians doing the faking. Anyway, their arrangement of "O Holy Night" is available on the Studio 60 page at NBC.com. I highly recommend it.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

As a kid I grew up in the 60s with the annual release of the Goodyear and Firestone 33-1/3 LPs. Even lived through the choosing between the Mono and Stereo versions. (grin) Those classics are STILL classic. Johnny Mathis OWNS "Chestnuts..."

Two Christmases ago, I think it was, we found a Mahalia Jackson Christmas CD. Almost every 1960s LP had one Mahalia cut, but her powerful voice does serious Christmas music proud.

And I don't why "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" is one of my favorites. Grand Rapids is mad about Trans-Siberian Orchestra -- we're like the biggest concert site for such a small regional population and the guy who created TSO makes it a point to come to G.R. -- and they've a song which you think is GRYMG, but really is the Carol of those damned ding-dong bells. (grin) Just lovely.

And I have a soft spot for the Canadian Brass Christmas albums...

Dr. Phil