Friday, December 01, 2006

Great Stuff on the Cheap and A Story with No Home



As John pointed out on his blog, Fantasy Magazine (actually Wildside Press) is offering a holiday subscription special: four issues for just ten bucks. Ten bucks! You got ten bucks? No? Skip Starbucks a few times and you've got it. If you haven't read the mag, get it. You won't regret it. (I subscribed yesterday. Thanks for the tip, John!)

***************************

After much revision and a little help from my friends, I finished my story "Graveyard Journal" last night. I'm pleased with the end result, but I wish I had a definite market in mind. It's a horror story with a teenage protagonist, which isn't really that hard to find a home for, but it's nearly 6,000 words, which knocks it out of several horror (like Cemetery Dance) and YA (like Cicada) markets. Yeah, I could probably cut several hundred words, but I've done that before and have never been pleased with the result. I may send it to one of these markets anyway. Maybe there's an upcoming anthology floating around somewhere.

Today's short story: "At the End of the Hall" - Nick Mamatas, Best New Fantasy

1 comment:

John said...

You're welcome!

I had the same sort of problem with the short-short story I sent out the other day. Not that length was a problem, as it seems that few markets are actively opposed to short-short fiction (though some are too flash, for which 500 seems to be the limit in most flash markets, just FYI). Rather, my story is not spec fic. It's kind of weird/strange, but there's really nothing there requiring a moment of suspended belief. That said, I'm eying some contests for shorter short mainstream fiction.

Good luck finding this one a home.