Thursday, June 21, 2007

AFI's Top 100




Here's
AFI's latest list of the 100 greatest American films of all time. Sorry, I just can't give full credit to any list that includes Titanic (sorry, Dr. Phil) and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. But with most of the other choices, I can't complain.

So what films aren't in there that you'd include? Off the top of my head, I'd put in

My Darling Clementine (1946)
A Face in the Crowd (1957)
The Conversation (1974)

Let your voice be heard!

**************************

Good progress this morning on a new story. It's nice when things start to come together. It's not so nice when you hear the trash truck coming down the street and realize you've completely lost track of time.

6 comments:

John said...

I'm going to post about this later, too. But as far as Titanic goes, I won't begrudge its showing at 83, only because these things should be tiered, not numbered, beyond #20. There are any number of movies for which a reasonable case could be made from about 50 through 150.

As I said, I'm going to post about this, too, but to answer your question about movies that should be on that aren't: Notorious and (you didn't think I'd leave it out) The Lion in Winter.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Titanic is the finest Physics movie ever made. (grin) So of COURSE it goes into the list. Just not at a higher number than "Rocky". Puh-lease.

(What, you thought I was going to rhapsodize about Kate Winslet? How about it is appalling that every other Kate film isn't on the Top 100? Starting with Sense & Sensibility. There, happy now?)

The Lion in Winter features another Great Kate Who Was The Finest Actress Of Her Generation and some of the snappiest, snarkiest dialogue ever.

One humorous note throughout the 100 films -- do you realize just how many of the 100 have Harrison Ford in them? At least five: Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, American Graffiti, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner. Not a record, surely, but quite a range of movies. (grin)

Dr. Phil

Andy Wolverton said...

It would be six for Harrison if my pick The Conversation had made the list.

Unknown said...

Do a quick check of how many movies in this Top 100 came out in the last twenty years, and then tell me what direction Hollywood had been going in.

I'm sure Live Free or Die Hard will crack the Top 25, though. That part where he kills the helicopter with a car will be remembered for eons.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

I think "Toy Story" was the only animated movie to make the cut. But surely "Surf's Up" will make it next time, dude.

Trent, you'd need a whole category just for Bruce movies. I mean, it's not fair comparing old movies with such grace and wit.

Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

forgot about Snow White...