Monday, June 18, 2007

Post-Vacation Post


Back from a true family vacation consisting of Cindy and me, Cindy's two sisters and their families and Cindy's parents all staying in a rental house on Cape Cod, Mass. In addition to Cape Cod, Cindy and I hit a few other places including a bit of Boston (Pizzaria Regina is well worth your time.) and Plymouth (Plymouth Rock isn't.)

One of the major highlights for me was at the Chatham Seaside Links, where I played nine holes of golf. It was the first time I'd played golf since 1980. I've always given my brother-in-law Dave a hard time about golf, saying that it isn't a sport, it's a game of skill and you don't have to be an athlete to play, and other such derogatory statements. But he asked if I wanted to try it and even brought along extra clubs for me, so how could I say no?

I must admit, golf is highly addictive. And I did okay, at least that's what Dave told me. I still contend that golf is more a game of skill than an athletic activity (I'd put it at 60% skill/40% athletic ability.), but it does require more athletic ability than I'd originally thought. Who knows? Maybe I'll pick up a set of clubs soon and see what happens.

Food? Yes, food. Lots of it. Ridiculous amounts of it.


Here's a breakfast of cinammon swirl pancakes with strawberries that I had one morning. When I ordered I figured there would be maybe four strawberries. Wrong.

We also had lobster rolls, tons of other seafood, desserts, you name it. Man. My stomach hurts just thinking about it.

A few other shots for your viewing pleasure. More on writing next time.



5 comments:

John said...

Welcome back.

I think of golf as darts with a stick. You're right, not so much athleticism required--unless you're walking 18, then it's aerobic exercise.

If you're still interested in playing once you get back into the swing of things in the real world, we should go sometime. We could do nine in the morning and then go to Daedalus.

Andy Wolverton said...

That is very tempting on both counts. Of course, I'll have to finds some clubs somewhere.

John said...

No worries. Without authorization from above, I will volunteer Lera's clubs to you: she has mens' irons. I'm thinking about replacing my driver, so that should cover it.

Andy Wolverton said...

Let's do it. I think Fort Meade is reasonable $$$-wise, but Dave says it's a pretty tough course.

Anonymous said...

that sounds like such a fun time! With the big family and one house and good places... Id love to do that.

As far as golf goes.. I agree, I have never broken a sweat from it not have I ever gotten sore from it. good times.