Thursday, May 08, 2008

Library Encounters

This is the stuff I love:

I'm at the information desk yesterday when a man - probably in his early 60s - walks in, takes a look around like he's lost and slowly approaches the desk.

"What can we do for you today?" I ask.

He leans in close like he's afraid someone besides me will hear him. "My son says I should come in and get a library card, use the library. I've never even been in a library before."

"Well, I'm glad you came in," I tell him and help him get started with the application for a library card. He provides all the correct information and in a couple of minutes we're done.

"That was quick," he said. I hand him his card and explain the different types of material we have, how long he can check them out. I tell him how he can use his card to access the Internet, renew/place holds online, etc. I stop when he looks a bit overwhelmed.

"I don't really know how to use a computer."

"We can get you started," I tell him. "We offer one-on-one training on how to use the Internet, search the catalogue, our library databases," etc.

"How much does it cost?"

"It's free. Would you like for me to sign you up?"

He's still got a little uncertainty, but I can see that he's beginning to realize coming to the library wasn't such a bad idea, that maybe his son has been on to something all this time.

He signed up and looked like a kid who'd just won a lifetime supply of candy. I gave him a welcome packet, explained the essentials and told him to let us know if he had any questions. He walked out beaming.

I've only been working at the info desk for a few months, but this isn't the first time I've had such an encounter. I guess we tend to forget that most library patrons come to the library as kids, get a card and come in on a more-or-less regular basis. It's a big step for an adult with grown children to come in and want to change something about their lives, even if it's only getting a library card and signing up for computer training. Maybe it's just the geek in me, but it's exciting to see.

Okay, end of Feel-Good Story #523

3 comments:

CJ said...

Awww! That's a great story, Andy. You might want to send that to the library's foundation person; I read in a memo recently that they're looking for stories from staff about the ways in which the library can change people's lives. Your tale sounds perfect for that!

Catherine :-)

Andy Wolverton said...

Hey, Catherine - thanks for stopping by! I might just send it to the foundation. Next time we have a shift together, let me know how to contact them. :)

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

For all the people who stay buried with their nose pointed at a screen, large or small, the numbers still suggest that the technorati are still a minority.

This is something that too many in business, government and education, haven't yet figured out.

And the man's son deserves an award. (grin)

Dr. Phil