Sunday, August 03, 2008

Greatness for $1.99




















"I've suffered a lot for my music. Now it's your turn."

I get a lot of grief from my friends who don't share my eclectic musical tastes. I haven't run across many people who enjoy Beethoven string quartets, Bob Dylan, Ella Fitzgerald, The White Stripes, Paul Hindemith's music for brass, Bjork, 77s, Sons of the Pioneers and John Coltrane, but that's okay. But what REALLY gets me steamed is hearing someone say

"Well, I like country music."

"How about Hank Williams. Hank Senior, that is."

"Naw, man." (Insert optional tobacco spit here.) "I'm talkin' 'bout real country!" which translates Toby Keith, Gretchen Wilson, Kenny Chesney, etc.

Now I've got nothing against those artists, but if you really want to hear county, you have to listen to Hank. Senior. What better opportunity than to spend two bucks on true greatness: 20 Of Hank Williams' Greatest Hits. You've heard covers of probably all of these tunes. Now listen to the guy who wrote nearly all of them and set the standard for country greatness. Two bucks! And it's today only. You won't be sorry.

No comments: