Monday, August 25, 2008

Still Here...

Okay, I know it seems I dropped off the planet for awhile, but I'm still hanging around. Lots of family issues, mostly looking after my mom, but it looks like things are beginning to clear up, at least for awhile.

And yes, I finally finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle! Is it as good as everyone says? Should you believe the hype? Should you wait for the movie? (I don't even know if it's been optioned, but in many ways it would be a challenging story to adapt to film.)

It is a good book and a good read. I'm not ready to break out the anointing oil and proclaim Wroblewski Writer of the Year, but the book is definitely worth your time. It will be interesting to see what he does next.

So you're waiting for me to talk about the book itself. I have a lot of thoughts about it, but I really can't begin to talk about it without giving away too much of the story. I will join a multitude of others in saying it could have been 100 pages shorter, but don't consider that a huge issue. Read it and see what you think. Feel free to comment with a spoiler alert.

Right now I need a little comfortable, familiar reading material, so I chose one of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. If you have never read one, shame on you. I'm taking my sweet time and reading through all 33 novels and 39 novellas (in order of publication, of course) for the second time.

No comments: