Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Gold Mine or the Kiss of Death?






Interesting that since Oprah picked David Wroblewski's The Story of Edgar Sawtelle for her newest book club selection, the book's composite rating on Amazon has gone from 3.5 stars to 2.5 stars. Also of interest: Although both Oprah's and the regular editions of the book retail for $25.95, the book with the Oprah sticker sells on Amazon for $14.27; the regular edition for $15.57. (But if you want to buy it on the cheap, just wait a few months. It'll be on the shelves of every thrift store in the country, alongside all the other Oprah Book Club picks.)

Obviously, as a result of having Oprah anoint him, Wroblewski will make even more money from the book, but he will also be ostracized by many in the literary community? Is this a no-win situation? Or a win-win situation? Or something else entirely?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at Oprah's pick. It's the type of book she goes goo-goo over. I actually thought the book was pretty good, but now that's she's picked it, I have the urge to distance myself from it. I know that's not logical, but there's something about that "corporate ownership" sticker that's unsettling. Maybe Jonathan Franzen had the right idea in snubbing Oprah with The Corrections.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Soooo I'm actually kinda sad that Oprah picked this book. I was so excited that Jean and I kinda picked an offbeat, unexpected book for book club and now I'm just disappointed because we picked an OPRAH book and not even an old, forgotten again Oprah book but her current pick. I think you're right that now instead of being a cult hit it'll be a mainstream hit and that just brings it down a notch in my book (hah). Anyway, glad I bought it before it had an Oprah sticker on it.

Turtleneck Girl said...

I have to say that it doesn't bother me at all that Oprah selected THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE as her next book club pick. One of her earliest selections, Jane Hamilton's A MAP OF THE WORLD, is one of the best books I have ever had the privilege to read. I don't see being on Oprah's list as any kind of literary step-down. Personally, I'm thrilled for David Wroblewski - and I loved EDGAR, (minor) flaws and all. I think it's a great book club pick and I'm extremely pleased that we chose it early on.

Andy Wolverton said...

Trendsetters, that's what you two are! No, VISIONARIES! :-)

A friend of mine who read it was extremely upset when she learned the news. "Wroblewski sold out! I can't believe it!" she said (Actually, yelled is more accurate.)

I'd said before that it will be interesting to see what Wroblewski does after EDGAR SAWTELLE. Getting picked by Oprah raises the stakes even further.