Thursday, September 10, 2009

Beatles for Sale...Again



Today, just one day after the release of the remastered Beatles catalog, 16 Beatle products are in Amazon's Top 25 Bestsellers in Music. The discs also include mini-documentaries on each disc. (I'm assuming the music is on one side and a DVD on the other.) Most fans seem to be delighted with the results, but not everyone.



The stereo box set sells on Amazon for $179.99. The mono set goes for $229.99. Well, you're going to want the stereo set, right? Maybe not. A lot of the Beatles' early albums were recorded in mono, so if you want to get the original flavor, you're going to want the mono set. Yet some of the later stuff was in stereo. Hmmmmm....

I don't know. I'm no audiophile, so I probably won't be able to tell much difference between the CDs I have and these new ones. But I know I'm not going to run out and spend this much money on a complete set. I'll probably do what I did when the Bob Dylan SACD Hybrid discs came out: Buy one and see how I like it. I bought the hybrid of Highway 61 Revisited and was blown away. But that was in 2003 and I still don't feel the need to buy the Dylan boxed set of SACD hybrids (which is only 15 of Dylan's albums) at $250.

So I'll probably spend $12.99 for Revolver or Sgt. Pepper and be content with that.



Plus the Beatles Rock Band also came out yesterday. It's a good thing I don't own a game system...

2 comments:

John said...

We are probably going to get the kids a Wii for Christmas, imperiling our own productivity forever, especially now that the Beatles are on Rockband. I guess that's a sacrifice we'll have to be willing to make.

Andy Wolverton said...

I'm hoping my brother-in-law (who has a PS3) will buy it!

As for the CDs, time (and budget) will tell. Unless, of course, Santa intervenes.