Sunday, August 03, 2014

Movies Watched in July 2014

You'll see a lot of old stuff on this list, mostly because I'm working my way through my DVD and Blu-ray collections, trying to downsize a bit. Just for fun I think I'll add a "Keep It" or "Let It Go" designation after each movie I own. 


They Made Me a Criminal (1939) Busby Berkeley 

Previously discussed here as a part of a boxed set called simply Film Noir Collection
This film alone is certainly not cause enough to keep the collection. 

2/5 Let It Go


All the President's Men (1976) Alan J. Pakula (3x)

Pakula was the perfect choice to direct this film, since he frequently dabbled in paranoia and conspiracy theory-laced themes. All the President's Men is a smart, engrossing film for those of you who don't have to see somebody getting shot or something exploding every five minutes. I think the pacing is ultimately what makes the film work and what makes it still hold up today. 

5/5 Keep It


Ripley's Game (2002) Liliana Cavani

A film I certainly enjoyed and discussed here. As much as I liked it, however, I won't be keeping it. 

4/5 Let It Go


Jaws (1975) Steven Spielberg (Multiple x)

We showed this one at the library last month right after the Fourth of July, an appropriate time, don't you think? The audience thought so, too.

5/5 Keep It


A Hard Day's Night (1964) Richard Lester (3x)

Criterion's new Blu-ray edition of A Hard Day's Night is absolutely glorious and features a wealth of extras. 

5/5 Keep It


The Lost Reunions (NF 2012) Danny Diaz (2x)

I initially watched this documentary of the men who served on PT boats during WWII during the Annapolis Film Festival a couple of years ago and reported on it then. Upon a second viewing, I noticed that it doesn't flow that well in several places, mostly due to editing. You can't really blame director Danny Diaz that much: I'm not sure how much footage he had access to, but I know he had a very limited number of interview subjects. Still, even with its flaws, this is a film I'm proud to own. As far as I know, the only way to see the film is to order it from Diaz's website for a donation, which I did.

3.5/5 Keep It


Edge of Tomorrow (2014) Doug Liman 

I actually saw this one at the Star Theater in Berkeley Springs, WV, the only theatrical movie I saw in July. Although this time travel/war movie is about 20 minutes too long, it was far better than what I was expecting and a bit of a departure (at least for the first hour or so) for Tom Cruise. 

3.5/5


The Hustler (1961) Robert Rossen (2x)

Although he was rewarded for them embarrassingly late, Paul Newman gave a whole parade of great performances throughout his career, and this one as Fast Eddie is certainly a standout. The pool scenes with Jackie Gleason are absolutely gripping and George C. Scott is fabulous. The only part of the film that doesn't work for me is the love story between Eddie and Sarah (Piper Laurie). It's too forced and analytical, almost like spending time in a psychiatrist's office. Overall, good stuff, but I won't keep it. 

4/5 Let It Go

So, tell me what you saw in July...

No comments: