Wednesday, January 04, 2006

2006 So Far

2006 is off to a good start in many ways. Here's a few of them:

1. New writing schedule. I've found that mornings are the best times for me to write. I normally get up between 5:30 and 6:00 and write for an hour – sometimes more, rarely less. Of course, I'll also try to squeeze in some time later in the day. The key is not letting anything (even sleep) interfere with that sacred morning time. No email or Internet until I've done my writing.

2. For the past ten days, I've averaged a little over 900 words a day.

3. I joined a gym. Yeah, I got tired of not being able to find a pair of pants that fit, so I joined Gold's Gym. It's great – I can drop off my book orders at the post office and swing by the gym. (It's only about two miles from the house.) Gold's has a darkened room with about 30 treadmills and ellipticals where they show movies on DVD. Cardio Theatre, it's called. It sure makes the time go faster, unless the movie is a real dud. Of course, you're only in there for 20-30 minutes, but you get a good idea whether or not you'd like to rent the whole movie. So far I've seen parts of The Bad News Bears, Coach, Total Recall, and Another 48 Hours. None of them I'd rent, but it's a good way to workout. I think you can even bring in your own DVDs and have them played. I doubt anyone would like to workout to Citizen Kane or The Third Man, but you never know.


Now Playing = Maiden Voyage – Herbie Hancock
Just Read = "More Tomorrow" (from More Tomorrow and Other Stories) – Michael Marshall Smith
Just Watched = Chinatown (1974)

No comments: