Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Another Birthday

For some reason I tend to reflect on the previous year on my birthday rather than the New Year. (I guess I need those extra 2.5 weeks to stew things over.) I turn 44 today, but here are a few areas of my life and the ages I actually feel in them:

Writing
I'm writing more aggressively as I get older. I'm certainly writing more and with more energy, sending stuff out more than I did a year ago. I'm also reading more, reading more widely and reading with a more critical eye. I can see growth in all areas, but I still have a lot to learn.
Actual writing age: early 20's.

I've also grown in knowledge of the genre(s). I really feel embarrassed about how little I knew of the genre going into Clarion. When I went to Clarion, I was 42. My knowledge of genre was probably around age 7. Leading up to Clarion, I'd never even heard of Kelly Link, Jeffrey Ford, Lucius Shepard, Andy Duncan, or Jeff VanderMeer. Now they're some of my favorite writers. I didn't know what had been done before, what types of stories were worn-out or cliched. I know a bit more now. I'm up to an actual reading age of 19, maybe. (Hey, it's good to feel 19 in ANY capacity.)

Work
I've realized that I don't have to make a lot of money (because I certainly don't) at my job. I enjoy finding and selling books and never get tired of it. Every day is different with different challenges. Plus it's fun. I know millions of people who dread thinking about their jobs. I don't and I treasure that. I probably won't always be a bookseller, but I like it, it pays some bills, and it gives me time to write. What's not to like?
Actual work age: 26

Physical Activity
Exercising more, enjoying it more...most of the time. But if I have to watch another movie like The Notebook at Gold's Gym's Cardio Theatre, I'll scream.
Actual exercise age: mid-30's

Other
Somebody zooms past me driving 80 or faster - Actual driving age: 65
I have to pass somebody driving 50 or slower - Actual driving age: 15
First beer - Actual drinking age: 18 (in some states)
Third beer or more - Actual drinking age: at least 60 (increasing in increments of 5 years with each successive beer)
Waking up at 5:30AM – Actual waking age (as far as being alert, active): 18
Staying up past 11:00PM – Actual barely-awake age: 72

Now Playing/Reading = same as yesterday

5 comments:

JeffV said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!

Jeff VanderMeer

Andy Wolverton said...

Thanks, gentlemen. And Jeff, thanks for your essay on House of Leaves in Horror: Another 100 Best Books. That book's blowing my mind.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Happy Birthday -- you're gaining on me! Rather amusing all the 2004 Clarion b-days that are happening in the last week... Could've had quite the blowout party if we'd attended Clarion South!

Dr. Phil

tcastleb said...

Heppy Birthday!! This is weird; you're about the fifth writer I know with a birthday in the past three weeks.

John said...

I remember the one time some students tried to guess my age. I was 21. Their guesses ranged from 33 to 40. (I'm hoping the beard threw them off.) These were the same kids who didn't know "Make Me Smile." Maybe I am old.

Happy Birthday, Andy.