Friday, January 20, 2006

Where Are the Special Edition DVDs???

Compared to most avid film buffs, I don't own that many DVDs, maybe 50 or so. But there are at least seven that I would buy today if collector/special editions became available. It really burns me up that completely forgettable movies seem to have collector editions galore, but so many films that have stood the test of time are ignored. Here are a few films that, as far as I know, are not on the horizon for special editions.

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Currently has just a few features, and those are more about Bogart than the film itself. No audio commentary. This is #1 on my wish list, Warner Bros. If you can do Casablanca, you can do this one. Both deserve great editions.

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
This is the first film I ever saw that rocked my world. (I think I was in the third grade at the time.) Currently no commentary, no extras. That's the biggest crime associated with this picture.

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
Currently includes one short featurette, no commentary. John Huston had to wait decades to film this story. Looks like we'll have to wait an equal amount of time for a decent edition.

Chinatown (1974)
Currently contains interviews with Roman Polanski, screenwriter Robert Towne and producer Robert Evans, but with the impact this film had, it should contain much more. I can't remember if this has a commentary or not.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A "deluxe" edition is available, but the "extras" include the soundtrack on CD, a 70MM limited edition film frame (big whoop) and a booklet. I own a regular Bb version (the only movie on this list that I own) that includes a lecture by Arthur C. Clarke.

Two Women (1961)
The only version currently available on DVD is of such inferior quality somebody should be arrested. What a lousy transfer for such a great film (with a wonderful performance by Sofia Loren). Anything would be an improvement over the current print.

The Searchers (1956)
Another film of far-reaching influence deserving of special treatment. Currently contains four documentary shorts (which I have not seen).

DVD Talk is a pretty good site that keeps an eye on future releases. I'm anxiously awaiting news on any of the above. I'm sure you've got a few titles you'd like to see treated with a little TLC as well. Cross your fingers.

Now Playing = Kiss My Axe – Al Di Meola
Now Reading = House of Leaves – Mark Z. Danielewski
Cell – Stephen King

1 comment:

John said...

The Lion In Winter. If MGM doesn't do something with this before Peter O'Toole dies (they already missed out on Hepburn) I'm going to burn down their studio.

I second the motion on The Maltese Falcon, although it's been years since I watched it.