Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Just What I Needed Part II

I hate it when this happens.

I'm working on a short story, everything's going just fine, flowing smoothly when I hear a little voice. Fred.

"You know, this needs a little more description."

Okay. More description. Okay.

"Yeah, that's it. That scene is nice. But readers need to know why the woman has that particular wallpaper in that particular room."

No they don't! It's just wallpaper!

"There's a reason it's there...."

It's not important.

"It could be...."

All right, all right. Let's explore the wallpaper. A little! I'll give you fifty words.

"How 'bout 100? You could really make it happen with a hundred..."

And it keeps going just like that. One thing leads to another and I've got a 5,000 word story that's just begging to grow bigger and bigger. I hate it when that happens. Fred....


Now Playing = Barricades & Brickwalls - Kasey Chambers
Now Reading (almost finished) = The Keys to the Kingdom Book I: Mister Monday – Garth Nix
Listening to in the Car = 1776 – David McCullough
Today's Short Story = "Mr Justice Delany" – John Morrow from Shadows and Silence, edited by Barbara Roden and Christopher Roden

1 comment:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

I think I'm related to Fred.

Dr. Phil