Friday, May 19, 2006

S is for Skipping

Just started listening to Sue Grafton's S is for Silence in the car. I like Grafton's alphabet mysteries, but I'm skipping just a few in the series. Let's see, I went through A, B, C, S.... So what's a few letters, huh?

Anyway, I remember from reading the early novels that Grafton was always great at description and pretty good with characters. Only one disc into the book (probably the equivalent of 30 or so pages), the descriptions are still good and the characters not bad. The plot (at least so far) seems pretty routine, but I'll keep listening.

The odd thing about the book is when it takes place: 1987. Do all the Kinsey Millhone books take place in the 80's? Does she ever enter into the 21st Century? I guess that would make Kinsey match Grafton's own age, which I believe is at least in the mid-60's.

1 comment:

Andy Wolverton said...

True, but I can also see the believability issues of having a senior Kinsey running around working cases. But I agree - setting them in the 80's is a problem. But wouldn't it be fun to see in Z is for Kinsey's last case as a 72-year old detective?