Monday, February 05, 2007

Considering OT (and I don't mean overtime)

As some of you may know, I was installed as a deacon in my church yesterday after a year of training. Sure, deacons really aren't expected to know as much scripture and theology as elders (After all, most people's image of a deacon is somebody setting up folding chairs, collecting the offering and fixing the boiler. Or at least cleaning out the coffee pot.), but after the written exams, I realized I could probably know more about the Bible that I do now, especially in the Old Testament.

It's not like I flunked the test or anything. I didn't put Moses in the ark or have Daniel parting the Red Sea or anything like that. (We all know it was Samson, right?) I just wanted to know more.

I'm in a Sunday School class right now that's exploring the minor prophets and it didn't take me long to realize I don't know jack about those guys, the kingdoms, the invasions, ANY of it. I noticed that the teacher was using An Introduction to the Old Testament by Longman and Dillard, so I decided to give myself that book as a birthday present.

I sure didn't realize that the book is a textbook for many seminaries and Bible colleges. Hey, I just wanted to know the difference between Zechariah and Zephaniah.

But the book isn't really that difficult, at least not yet. With each of the OT books, the authors discuss historical background (composition and authorship), text and tradition, historical-critical approaches, alternative critical views, evaluation of the critical approach, literary analysis, theological message, and how the book ties in with the New Testament.

All of this sounds quite difficult, but it isn't. I find it fascinating. (That could be why Cindy calls me a geek.) I especially like how differing views are discussed and how the authors avoid saying "THIS is the right way; stay away from this other view." None of that. Very interesting stuff.

Maybe I can figure out how they did that wall of Jericho thing.... I could get a group of guys to follow me down to Capitol Hill. And I've still got my trumpet...

4 comments:

John said...

I will definitely check that book out. I've mentioned before how much I enjoyed Marcus Borg's Reading the Bible Again for the First Time, but its analysis of each section of the Bible was limited by its scope. I wish the New Testament class I took when I was in college had given me a useful bibliography of sources, but the professor's knowledge was exhaustive and he just taught from inside his own head. It was kind of scary.

Andy Wolverton said...

I'd definitely like to read the Marcus Borg book. (Especially if I can borrow it from you!)

We were assigned to read two books during our year of officer training: Understanding the Bible by John Stott, which gives a broad "Big Picture" overview of the entire Bible and Peacemaker by Ken Sande, a valuable resource for resolving conflicts in and out of the church.

John said...

Especially if I can borrow it from you!

No problem.

Andy Wolverton said...

Thanks, man. It grieves me that many Christians don't understand that the Bible is full of many different types of language (some scholars even call them "genres") and types - historical narrative, poetry, figurative language, parables, prophecy, etc. You just can't read the entire Bible as "literal" and expect to get the full picture. You also have to look at passages in the context of the culture and historical background of those times (which the Longman/Dillard does well) and not what you see on Fox News.

And yes, the Bible as literature is a compelling study. I truly believe (and I'd say this even if I wasn't a Christian) it's the most fascinating work I've ever encountered.

I've seen the Jack Miles book on my rounds from time to time and have heard of the Armstrong. I'll be on the lookout.

Thanks for the link also. I wish I had the time (and patience) to learn Greek and Hebrew. I know that would open up whole new worlds of understanding...but don't hold your breath!

Thanks again!