Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Just Don't Know If It's Worth It...

Of course I'm talking about watching the Oscars tonight. For the first time in a long time, I

1) haven't seen any of the films or performances nominated. (I take that back. I did see Little Miss Sunshine.)

2) don't really care who wins.

3) have better things to do (like writing).

Maybe this sounds a little morbid, but recently the most enjoyable part of the show has been the montage of clips commemorating those in the film industry who passed away during the previous year. (Somebody could just call me and let me know when that portion's about to air. That would be cool. As long as it's not at 2:15AM, which it very well could be.)

I know this year's list of those no longer with us will contain some big names, among them:

Robert Altman
Shelley Winters
Don Knotts
Arthur Hill
Peter Boyle
Al Lewis (Grandpa on The Munsters, although I'm sure he also made some motion pictures)
Red Buttons
June Allyson
Phil Brown (Luke Skywalker's uncle in Star Wars)
Dennis Weaver
Darren McGavin

I'm sure there are many more that I've missed. For some reason, just knowing about them isn't enough. I guess I want to see them on-screen, featured in their most memorable work one last time. They deserve at least that.

I just hope Anna Nicole Smith isn't among them.

2 comments:

John said...

We watched just enough of the Oscars to see Steven Spielberg take a picture of Ellen deGeneres and Clint Eastwood, and to see Anne Hathaway's oh so unfortunate dress. We saw none of the nominated movies this year and plan to see only a handful on Netflix (among them The Queen and The Departed).

Andy Wolverton said...

I watched maybe 20 minutes - long enough to see Pan's Labyrinth (which I am eager to see) win a few technical awards and Alan Arkin to win for Best Supporting Actor.

On a completely unrelated note, maybe I can drop by for a visit while our wives are on tour? Let me know your schedule.