Wednesday, February 28, 2007

February Books Bought and Read

As we arrived at 2007, I told myself I'd cut back on my book purchases, which I did in January, only buying two books. Two! That's pretty good...for me.

Needless to say, I was very bad in February.

It's all the fault of The Book Nook II in beautiful Glen Burnie, Maryland. (The original Book Nook [NOT "Book Nook I"...man, I hate when people do that with movies...] in College Park, Maryland closed down last year.) They only have one sale a year - a half-price sale - and it was last week. That sale accounts for most (but not all) of February's book purchases.

And most of it is stuff I wouldn't normally buy. I mean, sure, I have some interest in philosophy, logic and architecture, but if they hadn't been HALF PRICE, they'd still be on The Book Nook II's shelves. But anyway, here we go with February's lists.

BOOKS PURCHASED:

Fantastic Tales (1998) - Jack London

Everyman (2006) - Philip Roth

A Friend of Kafka: Stories (1979) - Isaac Bashevis Singer

The European Philosophers from Descartes to Nietzsche (1960/2002) – Monroe C. Beardsley, ed.

Introduction to Logic (1957/1999) – Patrick Suppes

The Ten Books on Architecture (1914/1960) – Vitruvius, trans. Morris Hicky Morgan

I Am Legend (1954) – Richard Matheson

Heart-Shaped Box (2007) - Joe Hill

BOOKS READ: (links to those I enjoyed most)

The Complete Stories (1971) - Flannery O'Connor

Understanding Flannery O'Connor (NF 1995) – Margaret Earley Whitt

Everyman (2006) - Philip Roth

The Terror (2007) - Dan Simmons

A Sight for Sore Eyes (1998) – Ruth Rendell

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005) – Jeff Lindsay

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading: Finding and Losing Myself in Books (NF 2005) – Maureen Corrigan

Bald As I Wanna Be (NF 1997) – Tony Kornheiser

Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "Going from Tony Kornheiser to The European Philosophers from Descartes to Nietzsche...What a clod!" Well, maybe. But sometimes you just need a little comic relief. I might just keep a Marx Brothers DVD film festival going while I'm reading the philosophy book.

I hope I don't get my Marxes mixed up...

No comments: