Thursday, May 24, 2007

How Does It Feel?




As all music fans (and people with a heightened cultural awareness) already know, today is Bob Dylan's birthday, always a cause for celebration. (Bob turns 66 today, for those of you keeping score.)

So you ask, "How can I celebrate Bob's birthday?"

There are several ways. Here are but a few. Yet, if you feel a bit more daring, you might try one of these:

Walk up to a stranger and snarl, "How does it feeeeeeeel?"

Hang out on Highway 61. (This, of course, depends largely upon your geographical area.)

Dress up like Shakespeare and stand in an alley, any alley.

Depending on the weather in your area, stand in the middle of a clear, sunny spot and exclaim "A hard rain's a-gonna fall." (Sackcloth and ashes optional.)

Dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free.

If you're in the Washington DC area, go visit the Masters of War and sing any or all of the song. (Prepare for at least one night in the slammer, depending on the intensity of your performance.)

Get stranded in Mobile.

Rehearse with tuba players around the flagpole.

Look for places with music in the cafes at night and revolution in the air.

Hang out with a trainload of fools bogged down in a magnetic field (one of my all-time favorite Dylan lines).

Serve somebody. (You gotta do it, you know.)

The possibilities are endless. Enjoy.

Happy Birthday, Bob!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wolverton. Ironically, I did know it was Bob Dylan's birthday. I also just learned that he is the Lead Act at this year's Austin City Limits Festival, which I am going to in September. After thinking about all this, I thought of you. It has been sooo long. I found your blog and todays entry made me smile.

I graduated two weeks ago with a Music Ed Degree from Texas Tech. I am jobless and reconsidering teaching. I may open my own coffee shop. Not really, Ive just been flacky lately. Either way, Thank you soooo much for all you do. I am looking for a middle school job and still see Mr Fambrough from time to time. You men were my favorite people in my adolescence. Thank you.

Sarah Burden

Andy Wolverton said...

Sarah! Great to hear from you! Please email me - same address I've always had - and let's catch up!