Sunday, May 27, 2007

Weekend Bummer




I didn't realize until several hours after we got home from Six-Flags that my cell phone was in my pocket during one of the water rides. It's one of those rides that completely soak you...and your phone.

Okay, here's the question for those of you with tech expertise: I've got a Motorola RAZR V3 (with Cingular service). I removed the cover, the battery and the SIM card, wiped away a little corrosion and put everything back in place. The phone will turn on (as you can see from the photo); I can turn the phone on and off with the keypad, but that's the only keypad function that will work. I can also receive calls. (Cindy called to check - We even talked on the phone, so that function works.) I had the phone on vibrate before the accident and it still vibrates when I get a call. I can receive calls, but not send them. The screen tells me I've got voicemail messages - I just can't retrieve them.

So apparently some parts of the phone work. I just want to avoid buying another one if at all possible. No, I didn't get insurance. Yes, I'm an idiot for forgetting I had my phone in my pocket during a water ride.

And did I mention the AC in our house went out yesterday?

But at least my friend Doug had an outstanding wedding yesterday. And my good friend George returned safely from New Zealand.

Let me know what you think the phone's chances are.

1 comment:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Somehow I doubt that most cellphone providers do any repairs -- I could be wrong.

Good chance there's still some water making havoc inside your phone. How to get it out? You said the AC was out, so trying to dry it out with dry air might be tricky. Seems to me that a self-respecting cellphone should survive being in a hot car... Got a toaster over? If you could keep the heat to about 135degF, perhaps by putting in an over thermometer and keeping the door cracked open, I'd try putting the thing open, face up, without the battery.

Heat does damage LCD panels, which is why I wouldn't try more than a few hours at 135degF. Pausing to flex the open and closed a couple of times might help, too.

To prevent condensation from reforming, just turn off the oven and let it cool off on its own.

This is strictly theory -- I've never tried such a foolhardy trick in my life. But you probably don't have access to the kind of drying chamber a chem lab has... (grin)

Dr. Phil