Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Goal-Setting

For the past several months, I've been reading bits and pieces of Word Work by Bruce Holland Rogers. Bruce says that lots of writers are good at goal-setting, but not so good at goal-tracking.

Just writing down wishes and ideas is good, but you need more, a sense of direction. Says Rogers:

The next stage is to translate these wishes into concrete accomplishments with the question: What things can I do within the next six months that will move...in the direction of these wishes? Here, the outcomes we can't control are viewed from the perspective of what we can control. I can't require the contest judges to hand me a prize, but I can write a story that will be eligible for the contest and send it in by the entry deadline.

Setting goals with a partner can help you move from Point A to Point B. Start with long-term wishes and move to six-month goals. Eventually you break long-term goals down to weekly goals. (This is a very simplified version of what Rogers suggests.) Your partner is in effect your accountability partner, which is a good idea. It doesn't have to be another writer. It can be your spouse, a friend, anybody (maybe even somebody that reads your blog!) that helps you keep track of your goals.

Although today I was accountable to myself for writing 500 words, which I did. I hope to do so again tomorrow. Hold me to it.

No comments: