Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Nice Surprise

I got my judges' critiques back today from the novel contest and also a nice little surprise: a check for $50 for placing second!

From the comments I received, the judges generally liked the writing style, mechanics, technique, and plot. One judge called the plot a cross between Conan and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, which I'd never really thought of, but I like the comparison.

The first chapter is strong and intense, but it appears there are too many "long discussions of philosophy in subsequent chapters" and that my protagonist thinks too much for a 16-year-old. The judges may be right about that, but my main character, because of his surroundings and circumstances, has had to "grow up" fairly quickly in a world where he's had plenty of time to think about his future. Philosophy, however, does play a large part in the novel. Many of my main character's problems stem from two different philosophies/worldviews that have been pulling at him for his entire life. One of the main conflicts in the book is which philosophy will he choose? But I think I can make those philosophical instances more subtle without lessening their importance.

All in all, I'm pleased with the comments. I'll start my third draft this week, taking as long as it takes to get it polished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They told you to cut the scene where your protagonist gets in a swordfight with Plato! Didn't they? Just before Aristotle jumps out and reveals to the protagonist that he is really his father. ;)

Congrats on 2nd place!

So what's the book about anyway?

Andy Wolverton said...

I guess Plato's sword skills left a little to be desired....;)

The book is in a desert setting called The Territories. It's about a 16-year-old boy who has to make a choice between two branches of military service. There's not much technology, but there is an element of the supernatural that seems to be seeking him out. Sorry that's pretty vague, but if I tell you too much, you might not buy the book. ;)