Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Book Thing

I have so many books in the "To Be Purged" dungeon (actually it's just one section of the basement) that an emergency situation is near at hand. That's right, it's time to go to The Book Thing on Saturday. I'm sure the foundation of my house will thank me.

I've blogged about The Book Thing before and you can read about its history in the articles posted here, but basically all the books are free. That's right - free.

"Oh, sure," you might say. "A couple hundred battered Readers Digest books and National Geographic magazines that look like they were used as bases at a T-ball game." And you would be sooooooooo wrong.

The Book Thing's new location is at least three times as large as their old home, which held (according to Fearless Leader Russell Wattenberg) over 250,000 books. The new location must have close to half a million books. (After I donate on Saturday, that figure will increase considerably.)

Every category you can think of is represented at The Book Thing. And although you will find some old (and often worthless) textbooks and travel guides, I have found brand new bestsellers, signed first editions and rare books.

I can still see you scratching your head. Free?

Yes.

What's the catch?

Every book is stamped "This is a free book. Not for resale." That's it.

The Book Thing is open Saturdays and Sundays only. If you're ever in the Baltimore area, make it a point to stop by. It's a wonder to behold. Just plan on staying awhile.

No comments: