Thursday, September 06, 2007

National Book Festival



I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been to the National Book Festival, especially since it's right in my back yard...well, close enough, anyway. But this year I think I'll give it a shot. I'm running in a 5K earlier that morning, but I should be back home (and showered) in time for the festival's good stuff.

The good stuff being - at least for me - the opportunity to meet one of my favorite writers, M.T. Anderson. Other attending YA authors I've read are Holly Black and Gail Carson Levine.

Odd that the NBF lists Fiction and Fantasy as a category, implying that SF is a part of the literary crowd. I suppose that's a good thing, but what does that say for Fantasy? Mysteries & Thrillers are a separate category, so I wonder about SF & F? Maybe they couldn't get enough of those folks together. After all, Terry Pratchett and Harry Turtledove (and sometimes Joyce Carol Oates) are the only real SF/F/H writers in the Fiction and Fantasy category.

The other categories look great too, but I guess it's bad when you recognize more authors from the Home and Family category than the Poetry category. (I own Nancy Pearl's Book Lust. Are you surprised?)

******************************

On a sad note, opera great Luciano Pavarotti died Thursday of pancreatic cancer. He was 71. I am currently blaring "Nessun Dorma" (from Turandot) from my office in his honor.

1 comment:

John said...

I am currently blaring "Nessun Dorma" (from Turandot) from my office in his honor.

I'm doing "Recondita armonia" from Tosca.