Friday, February 01, 2008

January Books Read

It's a rarity that my non-fiction reading outweighs my fiction, but I also read a lot of short stories from collections that I haven't completely finished. And since one of my goals for 2008 was to read more non-fiction, I'd say I'm on the right track.

BOOKS READ

Generation Loss (2007) – Elizabeth Hand
Which I wrote about here.

The Kragen (1969/2007) – Jack Vance
And here.

Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers (NF 2004) – Chap Clark
You could almost call this an academic study. This is no lightweight book; Clark has done his research. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but you can't ignore what he has to say about youth culture, how it got here and where it's headed. A must-read for teachers, parents or anyone else who spends time around teens.

The Age of Shakespeare (NF 2003) – Frank Kermode
A good examination of the world during Shakespeare's time as well as the cultural significance of his works and their performances.

A History of Ancient Greece (Modern Scholar, NF 2007) – Eric H. Cline
Actually a series of informal lectures, good for people like me with a limited knowledge of Greek history.

A Pack of Lies (YA 1988) – Geraldine McCaughrean
A clever twelve-stories-in-one novel for YA. This one is hard to find, but worth the effort.

Take Joy: A Writer's Guide to Loving the Craft (NF 2006) – Jane Yolen
Just what the title says. Yolen has lots of advice and little nuggets of wisdom for writers at all levels, but mainly the novice.

Wolves Eat Dogs (2004) – Martin Cruz Smith
My first exposure to the Arkady Renko (a Russian detective) novels. (Thanks, Alexa, for the recommendation!) A billionaire Russian businessman falls to his death from his 10th floor apartment. Was it murder or suicide? And why was he found holding a salt shaker? Smith not only writes a great mystery, he also takes an introspective look at the changing post-Cold War Russian society. I'm eager to read Gorky Park, the first book in this series.

iWoz: From Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It (NF 2006) – Steve Wozniak
I wish I could say I had fun reading it. Wozniak is obviously a gifted visionary with a great story to tell. Too bad he spends so much time telling you how smart he is.

That's it for January. Now go read something.

No comments: