Friday, February 22, 2008

Maybe Next Year...

I've always wanted to go into the Oscar weekend having seen all five of the films nominated for Best Picture. I almost made it a couple of times, in 1981 (missing Atlantic City) and 1983 (missing Tender Mercies).

I thought I might make it this year, having only two films to go, Juno and Atonement, both of which are playing in nearby theatres, but due to the weather, it looks like I won't realize my goal this year. My only hope is that the library closes tomorrow due to the weather, yet the roads are good enough to travel to Annapolis. Still, I'd have to see two movies (in two different theatres) in one day, which I've done before, but would rather not.

Last night I watched Michael Clayton, which I thought was quite good, with just enough non-traditional elements and some great performances. I don't think it'll win, though. Nobody's talking about it.

Yet people are talking about No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, and rightly so. There Will Be Blood is the better film (in my opinion), but I believe No Country will win.

I don't really have any other opinions, since I haven't seen all the films, but I would be enormously surprised if Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't walk away with the Best Actor Oscar. And while I hope Julie Christie wins for Away From Her, I hear people talking in whispers that Ellen Page might just sneak in and win for Juno.

Will you be watching? I will - but then I'm a sucker.

No comments: