Friday, January 22, 2010

I'm So Confused...

We're getting closer to making a large(r) screen TV a reality, but the more I look, the more confused I get. The Samsung LN40B630 40-Inch is probably my top choice right now. I'd like to get a 46", but I think the price jump is a little too much. The things I will insist on are 120Hz (as opposed to 60Hz, even though the prices for the 60Hz are dropping like crazy) and 1080p.


I've still got lots of review to read and places to look. Maybe this weekend. It's not so much confusing as it is time-consuming. The other considerations require just as much thought. For instance, a Blu-Ray player, one that will allow me to watch streaming NetFlix and allow me to up-convert my regular DVDs to near HD quality. I've heard that a lot of Blu-Ray players just don't hold up, breaking after a few months. Everyone's trying to get me to consider the PS3, but I'm not interested in games (and don't want to get addicted!).

And what about surround sound? If I get surround, the speakers in the back of the room will have to be wireless. $$$

Lastly (and most oddly), Cindy and I rarely watch TV. So why the big screen? I love movies. That's the main reason I want the TV. Currently we get only local channels which is fine with us. I'm hoping I'll still be able to pull the same channels out of the air with the TV's digital tuner. I certainly don't want to pay $60 a month for channels I'll never watch.

Lots of my Facebook buddies (especially Don) have given me some great advice and insight. Still....Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

John said...

I have cut way back on my own TV intake, but I have to admit that sports in HD always grab my attention. Even crap like the NBA looks good in HD.