Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Criterion Collection Titles for July


The Criterion Collection titles for July 2013 were announced yesterday. Continuing in a somewhat disturbing trend, Criterion will once again offer no Eclipse Series boxed sets in July. In fact, today’s release of Eclipse Series 38: Masaki Kobayashi Against the System looks like the last set we may get for quite some time. Let’s hope it’s not the very last one. Anyway, here’s what Criterion will be releasing in July:


The Life of Oharu (1952) Kenji Mizoguchi - July 9, 2013
New to the Collection - Spine #664

I must confess to knowing nothing about this film or its director, Mizoguchi. Clearly I am living in ignorance. But the film is currently playing on Hulu+, so I can correct this oversight soon.


Lord of the Flies (1963) Peter Brook - July 16
Blu-grade - Spine #43

I watched this film at least 20 years ago (before reading the novel) and don’t remember being overly impressed, but I feel confident that this version is far superior to the 1990 remake. The 1963 version is also currently playing on Hulu+. 


Babette’s Feast (1987) Gabriel Axel - July 23
New to the Collection - Spine #665

It seems every year I encounter someone who cannot believe I have yet to see this film. Maybe this is the year I will join the feast. 


The Ice Storm (1997) Ang Lee - July 23
Blu-grade - Spine #426

I remember watching this sometime in the late 90s, being mesmerized by the performances and the direction, but somewhat depressed by the moral ambivalence of the film. I’m certainly willing to give it another shot. 


The Devil’s Backbone (2001) Guillermo del Toro - July 30
New to the Collection - Spine #666

What a fitting spine number for this early del Toro title, alas, one I have yet to see. The new cover clearly looks like a Mike Mignola creation; if so, that’s reason enough for me to pick it up. This is certainly the film I’m most looking forward to in July.  

No comments: