Saturday, June 07, 2014

Upcoming Blu-ray Releases

I often take a look at the Release Calendar over at www.blu-ray.com, usually just for fun, seeing not only the new "just-got-out-of-the-theater" movies, but releases of movies I haven't seen in years/decades. Here's a little bit of both that, although I probably won't buy many of these, I would like to see the upgraded versions. 


I think it'll be much easier to watch this streaming or from the library, but everybody's talking about True Detective. Eager to start this one. Release date June 10, 2014


I remember seeing this Charles Bronson flick when I was a kid, being struck that Jan-Michael Vincent - who had been in a lot of Disney movies I'd seen - was playing a way cooler character than he'd played in any of those kids' films. Release date June 10, 2014


Hey, it's Wes Anderson - what other reason do you need? Release date June 17, 2014


Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of the most popular "entry points" into art films. It certainly was for me. This is one I plan to buy, especially with the dual format that I can loan out to friends. Release date June 17, 2014


Another must-buy. It's the Beatles. It's Criterion. It's dual format. Done. Release date June 24, 2014


I've always loved George Pal's 1960 version of The Time Machine, even if it does look cheesy over 50 years later. I grew up with it and love it. I'll get this one for sure. 
Release date July 8, 2014


There's really only one scene that people remember from David Cronenberg's Scanners, even people who've never seen the movie. I'll be interested to see if the whole movie holds up. (I kinda suspect it doesn't.) Release date July 15, 2014


Marty isn't the type of movie that really needs a Blu-ray release, unless it has a lot of extras, but it's a movie I've always enjoyed. I have to be in the right mood for it, but I'd like to see it again at some point. Release date July 15, 2014


I'll confess that I've never seen the entire run of David Lynch's Twin Peaks, but I usually buy into the Lynch weirdness. The whole series was streaming, but I don't know if that will be the case after this set is released, which also includes the movie Fire Walk With Me.  
Release date July 29, 2014

So, look around on the Release Calendar and see what grabs you. 

No comments: