Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Challenge

It's painful for me to watch the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. I grew up in Mississippi and visited the Gulf Coast dozens of times. In graduate school at the University of Southern Mississippi, I drove down to New Orleans at least a couple of times a semester. These places are very close to me and I hurt for all those affected. Even with the news footage, I can't imagine what those people are going through and how they'll even begin to reconstruct their lives.

I want to challenge everyone reading to postpone that book purchase, that movie ticket, that restaurant dinner --- whatever you might normally spend on yourself this week and donate some much-needed money to the hurricane relief effort. To be honest, Cindy and I haven't decided exactly where to send our money - there are so many options (and I'll try to post some of them here this afternoon) - but we will send something out today. I hope that you will too. And please take just a moment and say a prayer for these people.

No comments: