Sunday, September 11, 2005

Live Jazz/Teaching Again/The Return of the Cowboys

Cindy and I went to hear the Airmen of Note last night, featuring jazz clarinetist Eddie Daniels. Some great music, but I wished that Daniels had varied the program a little more and talked about himself a lot less. Still very enjoyable.

Before the concert, Cindy and I discovered a great little restaurant in NW DC called Dish. They specialize in dishes "like Mom used to make," but zipped up a bit. Very nice, moderately+ priced.

This afternoon I taught for the first time in five years, at the Capitol Hill DC Writers Way workshop. I was a little nervous at first, but got back into teaching mode quickly. I've got a really great group to work with. They're already producing some nice writing.

Are the Cowboys back? They looked pretty impressive beating San Diego 28-24 at San Diego. If the 'Boys can stay healthy, I think they could make some real noise this season...but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. It's only Week One. (By the way, it's not easy being a Cowboy fan in Washington DC, but I've been a loyal follower since 1975. Can't stop now.)

Read "The Calorie Man" by Paolo Bacigalupi in the Oct/Nov F&SF double issue. An outstanding and frightening story, one that I think should be considered when talking about the best stories of the year.

Now Playing: Roses in the Snow - Emmylou Harris

2 comments:

John said...

I guess teaching is just like falling off a bicycle: you never forget.

If Bledsoe's brain isn't soup from so many sacks the past few years and Keyshaun Johnson starts earning his money, the Cowboys should do quite well. And don't be ashamed of your team. It could be worse. I am a Bengals fan, but I'm okay with that now.

Andy Wolverton said...

I've always liked the Bengals too, way back to the Ken Anderson days. I enjoyed watching Cris Collinsworth play, even though he's such an ass. Looks like Cinn did pretty well yesterday. I'd sure like to see them in the playoffs.