Tuesday, September 20, 2005

YA Novel

I'm really excited about the YA novel I'm working on. I put down about 1000 words this morning and am still energized to do more. I'd been cranking out about 500 words a day, but today I feel like the dam has burst. Right now I'm 14,000 words into it, six chapters. I've never seen a word count on a YA novel, but I would guess this one will probably end up between 60,000 and 80,000 words.

My main concern is that I can now see several different directions the novel can take. I don't know that we ever talked about that at Clarion, what to do when you have many options. I suppose choose the one that appeals to you most and the one that does the most unexpected things.

Still listening to those CDs. I discovered that alphabetical order can be a very unsettling thing. Although I love them both, listening to Buddy Holly immediately after Jimi Hendrix is a real shock to the system.

2 comments:

Andy Wolverton said...

That IS good news, Tom! Thanks.

Trent wrote: Think "trilogy."

That's not good news, Trent. But I won't discount it just yet.

Hank Williams to Public Enemy...now that's cool. I think ol' Hank's wife probably thought he was THE Public Enemy in his time. Ain't music great?

John said...

Think "conflict." Whatever direction you can go that is going to cause the main characters the most problems, go there. They may surprise you at how they overcome what you set in front of them.