Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Something About Those Rejection Slips...

I don't know why, but lately the rejection slips tend to light a fire underneath my butt. Got one this afternoon from Gordon. I appreciate his notes - he always takes the time to tell me exactly what didn't work for him. It's this story's first time out. As long as it's a story I think fits his magazine, I'll continue to give him first shot.

I am somewhat concerned that I only have two stories out there right now...I've been focusing on a new novel, but I really need to give equal time to the short stories. Steven Barnes recommends learning the craft of the short story first - I'm sure other professional writers do also. But I don't see anything wrong with chipping away on that novel if it's something you feel strongly about.

But here's the good and the bad about the short stories: Things start out pretty well, I feel good about where they're going, then BAM! Don't know what to do next. This has happened with the last two or three stories. I think it really boils down to the fact that I don't know the character(s) as well as I should and need to spend more time there. We shall see.

Now Playing = "No Expectations" from Beggars Banquet - Rolling Stones

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always try to write a short story a month minimum. Set time aside, maybe one week, during the month to just work on the short story. Or on the weekends.

All depends on your work habits.

Then you can still work on a novel during most of your writing time, but also get a few more short stories out there.

Every year you'd end up with at least, 12 of them, know what I mean?

Andy Wolverton said...

Good idea, Eric. Right now it's kind of hit and miss with finding time to work on stories. But again, thanks for the idea; sounds practical and do-able. (Although Tom's idea sounds a lot more fun.)