Monday, April 30, 2007

Back from Texas

Had a great time in Texas this past weekend. Travis and Libby's wedding was just about perfect in every way. It was very exciting to see them start their new life together. I also got to see some family that I don't get to see as often as I would like. Very enjoyable.

Alas, while in Texas, I fell to the temptation of too many great book stores. Two Arlington Half-Price Books locations (Collins, Cooper) and the mothership - Recycled Books in Denton. I came away with a total of eight or nine books, which I guess could have been a lot worse. I'll share the titles in tomorrow's April Books Read/Books Purchased report. (I know, the antipication is just killing you.)

Arlington hasn't changed too terribly much, but man, has Denton exploded! I don't know if UNT has grown that much or people are simply moving further north, but Denton is absolutely crazy now. When Cindy and I lived there it was a nice, sleepy little college town with a couple of good Mexican restaurants and a bad mall. Now they have just about everything you could want (except maybe a football team at the university).

I'd forgotten how wide open everything is in Texas. The roads, the land, everything. And the reverse sticker shock: I saw a billboard with a photo of a large two-story house. The sign read "Starting from the $140's." I just about wrecked laughing so hard. Maybe I should have been crying? We could sell our house in Maryland and buy 2.5 of those.

3 comments:

John said...

THE MOTHER SHIP...

I don't have anything else to say, except that I am green with envious.

John said...

I'm also green with envy.

Andy Wolverton said...

I know --- just the thought of The Mother Ship is enough to boggle the mind, the vocabulary, syntax and a hundred other things (including the bank account).

By the way, I have a small souvenir for you. (I think Cindy will be giving it to Lera tomorrow.)