Thursday, April 05, 2007

This is Sooooooooo Tempting....

Although I only own three or four of their books, I love the Library of America series. The quality of the books themselves is outstanding, the content is excellent and the ones I own have held up extremely well through the years.

Well now you can get all 189 volumes from Amazon for the price of.........

$3,992.97 (Amazon will even give you free shipping.)

That comes to about $21 per volume, which is really pretty good, considering the retail price for most individual books is $35. But do you really want them all? (Hey, they're on my Amazon Wish List. You buy 'em for me, I'll take 'em...)

If you don't want all 189 volumes, you can subscribe directly from the Library of America. Subscribing from the source carries several advantages:

You purchase only the titles you want.

Each clothbound volume comes in a slipcover.

Each volume (including shipping) comes to $30.45. (These are of an even higher quality than their "regular" volumes.) This price reflects a 45% savings over the retail price.

Temptation....

3 comments:

John Schoffstall said...

this is the ultimate collection of American letters

Well, it's the ultimate collection of American letters considered respectable by the academic elite.

All of sff seems to be represented by Lovecraft. If you don't count Poe, and I don't.

I don't see any comics, either.

What? Comics?!? But fifty years ago, you wouldn't have seen any detective fiction here, either. If LOA is still around in fifty years, it will include comics.

There's doubtless good stuff here. But I couldn't read it all before I die and there's so much else I want to read. I'll have to pass on this one.

Andy Wolverton said...

Don't forget Philip K. Dick - his volume will come out later this year. I consider his volume and the Lovecraft to be major victories for sff. Let's hope more will follow.

No, very few people could read the entire set in a lifetime. (Harriet Klausner could probably polish 'em off in a month or two.) Although the single volumes I'm seriously considering...

John Schoffstall said...

Oops, I didn't notice Dick. He certainly counts.