Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April Books Bought

No two ways about it: April was Book Insanity Month. Good gracious, look at all the books I bought. I blame one of the usual suspects, Daedalus Books and a new tempter, Re-Reads, the new used bookstore in Crofton. Of course here I am writing with over 48 hours left in the month! Who knows what might happen? So now, before I get even more out of control....

APRIL BOOKS BOUGHT

(For some reason, the images are not uploading. Use your imagination.)

McTeague (1899) - Frank Norris

I've wanted to read this ever since I saw the silent classic Greed (based on the novel) many years ago. I finally found it at a good price.
Trade Paperback; Price = $1.00

Always Looking Up (NF 2009) - Michael J. Fox

I bought Michael J. Fox's memoir of his battle with Parkinson's Disease for my mom, who also struggles with PD.
Hardcover; Price = $15.49

Speak, Memory (NF 1951) - Vladimir Nabokov

Any look into the mind of a writer of Nabokov's stature is certainly worth this price.
Trade Paperback; Price = $4.00

Ghost Story (1979) - Peter Straub

Can you believe I've never read it? Now I have no excuse.
Mass Market Paperback; Price = $2.00

The Short Stories - Ernest Hemingway

Okay, I had a big, bulky hardcover edition of this that's just...well, too big and bulky. This trade paperback is much easier to deal with (and probably easier to make pencil notes in the margins).
Trade Paperback; Price = $5.98

The Ethics of Star Trek (NF 2000) - Judith Barad, Ph.D. and Ed Robertson

Okay, go ahead and laugh. But I've heard lots of good things about this from people who are not only into Trek, but also philosophy and theology. (So there!)
Trade Paperback; Price = $4.98

The Yiddish Policemen's Union (2007) - Michael Chabon

I thought this novel was absolutely brilliant when I read it two years ago. I just didn't own it. Until now.
Trade Paperback; Price = $1.00

Garnethill (1998) - Denise Mina

This Scottish crime novel has been praised for years. Thought I'd finally try it.
Trade Paperback; Price = $4.50

The Long Goodbye (1953) - Raymond Chandler

This guy's the master. I'm always in awe of Chandler.
Trade Paperback; Price = $3.98

Martha Peake (2000) - Patrick McGrath

I was actually looking for McGrath's Dr. Haggard's Disease, but couldn't find it. I settled for this novel of the American Revolution because it looked intriguing and is signed by the author.
Trade Paperback; Price = $4.98

The Woman in the Dunes (1964) - Kobo Abe

I loved the film version of this novel. I also remembered that my good friend and Clarion alum. Rebecca Rowe is a big fan of Abe.
Trade Paperback; Price = $4.98

Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories (2005) - Maureen F. McHugh

What I'm sure is another stellar collection from Small Beer Press.
Trade Paperback; Price = $3.98

The Grifters (1963) - Jim Thompson

Gritty. Brutal. Depressing. Gotta love Jim Thompson.
Trade Paperback; Price = $3.50

Love and Hydrogen: New and Selected Stories (2003) - Jim Shepard

I was crazy about Shepard's last collection Like You'd Understand, Anyway, so I knew this would be money well spent.
Trade Paperback; Price = $4.00

Fire, Burn! (1957) - John Dickson Carr

Highly recommended by my friend and former co-worker T.
Mass Market Paperback; Price = $2.00

The Writing Life: Writers on How They Think and Work (NF 2003) - Marie Arana, ed.

I stood around a thrift store deciding whether or not I needed another book on the writing life. Now you know what I decided.
Trade Paperback; Price = $1.41

I think that's gonna do it for April. I sure hope so.

Total Book Expenditures for April = $67.78

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love and Hydrogen

Wasn't that the story Trent was raving about awhile back?

Actually you have a lot of books in these purchases that I want to hear about! So naturally you are now required to write an indepth review of each and every one of them! ;)

Andy Wolverton said...

Shepard is pretty impressive...

Let me know which ones you're interested in. I'll give 'em top priority!

Unknown said...

- The Woman in the Dunes

- Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories (2005) - Maureen F. McHugh

Those are the two that caught my interest the most.